Sunday, June 5, 2011

S.U.N.Y. Cobleskill 2007 Graduation


Cobleskill Remarks—Graduation: Glenn Eugster
May 19, 2007

Dr. Myers, Dr. Murphy, Assemblyman Tonko, distinguished faculty and staff, notable leaders, friends and loving families, and most of all, the Cobleskill Class of 2007. I am deeply honored to be here and appreciate the opportunity to speak with you.
In 1968 I sat in the audience waiting for my degree and the start of my adult life and career. When I arrived at Cobleskill in 1966 I knew I wanted to get a college education. My family members were working class immigrants from Switzerland and Poland. No one in our family before me had the opportunity to attend college and my family encouraged me to pursue my academic studies.

Although I wanted a degree I wasn’t sure what I would do with it once I got it. In high school I was an average student that flirted with learning. I was more interested in good times and athletics than I was with academics. Frankly I saw my access to college through a sports scholarship rather than any type of academic achievement.

In May of 1966 I was almost killed in a car accident and my college sports future was over. When I arrived at Cobleskill in September I found myself playing the role of a fulltime student for the first time. It was a confusing part for me and I struggled that first semester.

What I found at Cobleskill was an environment that offered a path for me to achieve the college degree I wanted. It was both a supportive and demanding environment that educated and taught me the responsibilities of being a professional and a citizen.

I began studying under Professor Ingels—Jack, who was new to Cobleskill. He was from Purdue and Rutgers University, seemed to be very educated, experienced, and professional. From day-one he treated me and my classmates as the professionals we aspired to be. He set a high standard for our course work and behavior, and went to great lengths to enthusiastically introduce us to the depth and breadth of the profession we were pursuing. More importantly he took an interest in us as students, future professionals and people. He treated us fairly and accepted the fact that we would sometimes make mistakes.

I haven’t met a professor anywhere that I admire more the Professor Ingels. What he has done with his career to help students, Cobleskill and the profession is truly remarkable.

From my time here I discovered five things. I discovered the sheer joy of learning--especially the relationship between nature and people. I went from a very average student to someone who couldn’t learn enough about plants, soils, landscape design, music, literature, and much, much more.

I learned that my education at Cobleskill positioned me for either a great job right away or the opportunity to continue my education to prepare further for a great job later.

I have learned that Cobleskill works hard to be relevant to the students and the public it serves here in New York, America and the world. For example, it is very exciting to read about the Center for Collaborative Sustainability and learn of the University’s interest in—and actions to, find better ways to protect our environmental, human and economic values, and help people and living resources prosper. This type of approach is no longer a luxury for the United States it is an essential philosophy for every American.

I have also learned over time that our relationship with Cobleskill doesn’t end when you receive your degree. If you stay connected to Cobleskill, through communications, dialogue with students and faculty, or by giving something back to the University, you will continue to benefit personally and professionally and help others. There is a generosity of spirit here that is a unique asset for us all.

Finally, I learned that my education at Cobleskill was the foundation I have used to pursue additional studies and a career of over 35 years working with government agencies locally, nationally, and globally on services, projects and policies.

When I was here in 1968 I never imagined that I would be able to do the things that I have done. My family taught me about how to adapt to life, introduced me to nature and landscape and the need to work hard no matter what you do. The professors here at Cobleskill shaped those qualities, gave me support, confidence, guidance, and the technical competency to do what I have done with my career and my life.

This recognition today means so much given this is where my career and adult life began, and because of my admiration for those of you that have made a commitment to helping us reach our full potential. If not for my time here at Cobleskill I would not be before you today. I am forever grateful. May you have continued success in your lives and careers. Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment