Saturday, May 9, 2015

Remarks for the Accokeek Award: J. Glenn Eugster 9-28-08

Remarks for the Accokeek Award: J. Glenn Eugster 9-28-08


Thank you!  It is a great honor to be recognized as part of the 2008 Accokeek Foundation Leadership Salute and to share this occasion with my wife Deborah, daughter Laura, Son-in-Law Jaime, Granddaughters Lila and Adelyn, dear friends, and the Accokeek Foundation “family”.

When I was starting out in the public sector I was armed with a passion for this profession and three excellent college educations.  As time went by my enthusiasm and education was enriched by the experience of working for the National Park Service and the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency.   I learned that true leadership is bringing about collaboration and working with people and organizations that share a common goal of protecting precious natural and cultural resources but perhaps offer different perspectives and approaches to achieving the goal.

Over the years that I’ve worked for governments, and in the private sector, I’ve had the good fortune to have talented people help me learn how to become a good leader.  Early in my career I realized that learning how to lead is a life-long pursuit.  In fact the longer that I work the more I realize how much more I need to learn about leadership.

Some of the individuals that assisted me, including my wife Deborah Weatherly from the U.S. Appropriations Committee staff, and Joe DiBello from the National Park Service, Northeast Regional Office, have been long-time advisors who have quietly coached me behind the scenes in an enabling way helping me to take time to listen, learn and work with others to accomplish important goals.  More than telling me what to do and not to do they taught me ways to help people help themselves sustain our parks, ecosystems, special landscapes, historic sites, economies and organizations. They patiently gave me insight on how to decide what causes are important locally or globally, build consensus with various stakeholders, and get things done in a way that is good for people, all living resources, and the economy.

During the late 1970’s while working with the Philadelphia Regional Office of the National Park Service I first heard of the Accokeek Foundation and your stellar work here and around the Potomac River basin.  I watched your work from a distance until the opportunity arose to work with you here at National Colonial Farm with Piscataway Park, and within the Potomac River area.  I know some of you, such as Wilton, Peter, Director Stanton, John, Patricia, Andy and Jim—as well as your outstanding staff--including Helen, more than others.  Through our work with the NPS National Capital and Philadelphia Regions, EPA’s Chesapeake Bay Program, and the Potomac American Heritage River Initiative it has been a pleasure and an honor to work side-by-side with you. I have long admired your work and learned a great deal from you.  You have individually and as an organization contributed significantly to my efforts.

Given the longstanding commitment the Accokeek Foundation has had to land stewardship, sustainable use, and interpretation of the natural and cultural resources of the Potomac, I am honored and humbled to receive this award.

I’d like to close by quoting Saint Francis of Assisi, the patron saint of the environment, who once said, “For it is in giving that we receive”.  May you have continued success in your work and lives.  Thank you.










No comments:

Post a Comment